May 30, 2011 § 2 Comments
May 26, 2011 § Leave a comment
Sometimes I forget that I do more than just school stuff and crafting. I think I just get so gosh darn excited that I forget to document/share/whatever. But I think I prefer it that way. Anyway, some time ago now, I moseyed my way over to El Rey & saw Man Man play! The openers were Shilpa Ray & Her Happy Hookers who I had never heard of before. They were definitely a band I would have really enjoyed probably when I was in high school (super high energy, a little bit rowdy) although there was song in particular that I was absolutely smitten with. Anyway, here’s some pictures! They are pretty not great quality-ish because my digital point & shoot is basically only used for things like this, it’s pretty beat up & probably on it’s last legs:
May 23, 2011 § 2 Comments
Beautiful, beautiful! The first time I listened to Belle & Sebastian was actually due to a CD I picked up from my local public library when I was in high school. They are one of my favorite bands because they were one of the “gateway” groups that really pushed me into enjoying the music I do now so very much. In college, I used to harass my best friend by singing, “Judy” & getting it stuck in her head for days & days!
May 22, 2011 § 1 Comment
So remember when I got a Pinterest account & was like, “oh, I hope this doesn’t ruin my productivity”? Well, nothing can! Unfortunately there is this thing about bookmarking things where sometimes those links turn bad after a while. However, the image using abilities of Pinterest meant that I was able to stare at a picture still.
There was a little picture of these cute crocheted pillows & I thought maybe I would use a pattern, but since the link died, I remembered that inventing a square-like pattern is not hard. Expect this to be attached to a pillow soon!
May 18, 2011 § 6 Comments
Goodness gracious, somehow I am beginning my 24th year of being alive already! I feel like the older I get, the faster time goes. My birthday was actually surprisingly nice! I had been dreading it because honestly being far away from my family & basically people who cared are quite far away. But I’ve been so lucky to meet some people down here who cared too! It was a nice, quiet, & small birthday & I felt so special. It meant a lot especially because I’ve been having such a rough time lately missing home & being stressed from school & my plant isn’t doing well & just being a bit lonely in general.
I guess I was feeling a bit down especially because I had been feeling like I wasn’t doing much in the way of personal growth. I think this year was unique in the sense that usually, I am doing so much internal change, but this time there were so many external changes that I had trouble keeping up.
In my 23rd year
- I graduated college!
- left my longest held job
- Saw a friend of mine that I’d known since high school get married & thought, “awwwwhhh” a lot
- Briefly played softball even though I hate sports because I liked the people who were playing
- made friends with the ex
- had probably 3,000,000,000 chocolate milkshakes at Fat Jack’s
- got to see for probably the last time, the free Shakespeare plays in Woodward Park
- went to a trillion parties, realized that I do, in fact, not hate parties
- visited Los Angeles to see where I would be living, ended up at Disneyland instead
- wrote wrote wrote
- tried to learn to swim again (failed, seriously someone help me!)
- watched lots of movies
- moved to Los Angeles
- got a new job (yeah I was unemployed for the whole summer, it was fun, I was poor)
- unmade friends with the ex
- dyed my hair many many many times
- made new friends
- started grad school
- briefly dated someone, got dumped before I even knew where I stood with the guy. Initially was sad, now I can’t find it anything but hilarious
- began volunteering!
- was a power ranger for Halloween with new friends
- went to lots of museums
- became hooked on coffee
- did lots of work in class that was challenging/heartbreaking/fulfilling
- got my wallet stolen for the first time ever
- experienced, “the guy that randomly never called back” (rude!)
- was “the girl that randomly never called back” to someone else (more rude! I know that I know better than to behave that way)
- Disneyland again!
- saw some pretty great bands/musicians. LA has some nice venues (there, I said something nice about you, city that I am not terribly fond of)
- sort of figured out LA’s public transportation system (it’s kind of a disaster), also lost my bus pass kind of a lot of times
- put a hole in my ear, aggravated it with a sweater, freaked out about it being infected & cried my eyes out like a big baby, was helped out by a friend, all is well
- kept on creating!
I mean really, it was a pretty insane year for me now that I’ve taken the time to actually look back on it. But you know, even though I still feel like I’m playing catch up to the external changes in my life, I’m feeling pretty good about where I am right now. One of the things I am told pretty often by people I meet is, “you seem pretty independent”. This makes me really happy because I think it is my number one survival skill & a quality that I like about myself. Randomly moving to a place where I didn’t know anyone really has put that independence to its limits. & yes, I do get lonely a lot, I think that’s normal though considering the situation. With every day that passes I am getting a tiny bit tougher (grrrrrr), smarter, stronger, and freer (is this a word? Should I retract the smarter statement?). To me, personal growth is about constantly becoming a better version of yourself & I think I grew more than I initially realized. I am so happy that everyone who was a part of my 23rd year was there, whether it was a positive or negative interaction, making it so unique & definitely a year I won’t forget, even when I am a little granny.
So hello, 24th year, we are just a few days in, it’s nice to meet you. I’ve had some pretty amazing years so you have a lot to live up to, but I have no doubt you will. You are so full of unknown possibilities & I find that incredibly exciting. Looking forward to experiencing everything you have in store!