October 2, 2010 § 7 Comments
This project is mostly done, but not quite. Everything is put together, but I just need to do some fitting. I like to sew a garment a little large, put it through the wash to see if it’ll shrink much, & then do a few final alterations to make sure it fits. With this skirt, I created a pattern on paper, which was the first time I’ve ever tried that. Usually when I sew things without a pattern, I just make it up as I go, but this time, I decided I would like to be able to make the item again or at least that I would like to have a pattern to work off & make small alterations to in order to create new patterns. It worked out a lot better than I was expecting, so you should expect to see my next sewing projects be a lot of skirts. When I saw this fabric, I instantly was reminded of a man’s button down shirt so my brain was on this office wear trip, but then I really like things to be feminine & was having a conversation about the importance of details with a friend of mine so I thought adding some crochet work to the skirt would be a good idea.
One side note, WordPress stats are really amusing & today I discovered that one of the top searches to bring people here has been, “t-shirt with bird on shakespeare’s head”. I think I might like to make a drawing of a bird on Shakespeare’s head very soon.